about the project

In our society, beauty has become a brand. It’s sexy. It’s skinny. It has flawless skin.

If you’ve watched a movie, read a magazine, or listened to the radio in the past decade, this isn’t new information. You’ve passed the magazines and billboards of digitally altered women, and clearly heard the message,

“You’ll never be quite good enough.”

For a long time I have criticized myself against this impossible standard, questioning in my heart if I was beautiful. I’ve spent years feeling insecure, dissatisfied with the way God created me, because I don’t measure up to this standard.

But in the past year I have realized something, the standard is wrong. Beauty isn’t something that can be airbrushed or photo shopped. It’s not a certain look or body type. It’s much more than that.

The goal of this project was to highlight a different type of beauty, a kind you won‘t find in magazine. It’s a confident, strong, creative, and unique. It’s found in womans' heart and it shines through her eyes. It glorifies the Creator.

These women exemplify this beauty and have graciously shared their hearts on the subject. I hope you enjoy their wisdom and realize that

you are beautiful.

the video

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Becky




Becky

Becky is a senior in high school. She sings on Calvary Chapel’s worship team and is an Jr. High leader. Becky plans to study psychology in the fall.

What do you think beauty is?

“Not so much the outside appearance, it’s inward. I think what makes a girl beautiful is her personality, her heart, and a love of Jesus that shines through her. That’s totally beautiful and attractive. When a girl has a really bad personality, even if she’s pretty on the outside, she’s not attractive.”

Do you think your beautiful?

“Yes, I think I have a good heart. I like to serve people, be there for people, and help people in whatever ways I can.”

How has our culture’s definition of beauty effected you?

“It’s hard seeing all the celebrities on TV. There is this image put out, that you have to be perfect in every way. You have to put so much make up on and have all the right clothes, or else, your not cool, your not equal. And I am definitely effected by it. I feel like I have to fit in all the time and it shouldn’t be the case. God made us all beautiful just the way we are and we shouldn’t have to conform to anyone else.”

What do you think God finds beautiful in a woman?

“Their heart and their willingness to serve. Also, qualities like patience, humbleness, and other fruits of the Spirit. I think that’s what He finds beautiful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment