about the project

In our society, beauty has become a brand. It’s sexy. It’s skinny. It has flawless skin.

If you’ve watched a movie, read a magazine, or listened to the radio in the past decade, this isn’t new information. You’ve passed the magazines and billboards of digitally altered women, and clearly heard the message,

“You’ll never be quite good enough.”

For a long time I have criticized myself against this impossible standard, questioning in my heart if I was beautiful. I’ve spent years feeling insecure, dissatisfied with the way God created me, because I don’t measure up to this standard.

But in the past year I have realized something, the standard is wrong. Beauty isn’t something that can be airbrushed or photo shopped. It’s not a certain look or body type. It’s much more than that.

The goal of this project was to highlight a different type of beauty, a kind you won‘t find in magazine. It’s a confident, strong, creative, and unique. It’s found in womans' heart and it shines through her eyes. It glorifies the Creator.

These women exemplify this beauty and have graciously shared their hearts on the subject. I hope you enjoy their wisdom and realize that

you are beautiful.

the video

Monday, June 22, 2009

Meg





Meg

I am a pediatric nurse, but I also enjoy writing and photography. I love traveling and missions work, and spent a year in Liberia as a medical missionary on the world’s largest non-governmental hospital ship, the Africa Mercy, with the Christian charity, Mercy Ships. In July, I am returning to the Africa Mercy to work in the communications department.

What do you think beauty is?

“Beauty is a glimmer of eternal perfection, woven through our fallen world, which leads us to acknowledge and glorify it’s Author and Source. When I see something beautiful, in a person, a piece of art, a conversation, or a place, it awakens a longing in my heart for heaven.”

Do you think your beautiful?

“When I remember I am precious to the Lord, and so loved by Him, I think I’m beautiful. Otherwise, I feel unconfident, insecure, and fearful of being rejected by others. When I feel this way, I am unable to be vulnerable, with God and people, and I miss out on the intimacy and love which vulnerability creates. I am learning how to find my confidence in Christ, and realizing I can fully be myself in Him, without any fears.”

When do you feel the most beautiful?

“When I am driving fast down the highway with my windows down, the wind is blowing through my hair, and I am singing loudly to song on the radio. I feel free, unrestrained, and completely uninhibited to be myself.”

What do you wish women knew about real beauty?

“That ‘beautiful’ and ‘sexy’ are not the same things. Sadly, even amongst Christians, those terms are used interchangeably. Sexy means, ‘intending to arouse sexual desire,’ something that’s encouraged and applauded by our culture. We can be sexy through our attire, what and how we say things, our body language, and our attitudes. But beauty is much deeper and very different than that. It’s a unique expression God seen in an individual that arouses a desire for Him in others. It’s not an attitude that can be put on and off, it’s a structural component of a someone’s essence. On any given night you can walk into a club in any city in the world and find dozen’s of women who are ‘sexy.’ But to meet a woman who is truly beautiful, is a rare encounter. And when you meet her, she is easily recognizable.”

No comments:

Post a Comment